Page Views

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Giftless Christmas

That was the title to an email that I sent to all of the members on my side of the family. This year, because of our trip to Cuba we decided to have a giftless christmas and I have to say, it was really nice. We did some volunteer work and it felt really good to make it about something else other than gifts.

I was talking to the wife of one of DH's cousins over the weekend and she told me how on her side of the family they pick a charity and donate money rather than give gifts so I came up with a version of this idea and wrote this email to my family:


I don’t know about the rest of you but I was really really happy with our giftless Christmas this year. Even if we don’t do a trip every year I vote that we get out of doing gifts and instead I have a new idea and tradition that we can start. We can all split on the booze and food no matter where the festivities are being hosted and instead of gifts we each choose a charity to donate a sum of money to and then instead of opening gifts we each take turns telling the family about the charity we selected and why we chose it.

What does everyone think?? I would much rather just spend time with you guys and eat and play games.


I am a big fan of this idea.

So far my niece, brother in law and sister have all responded saying that they love this idea, so that makes me really happy and I hope that I have started a new tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment