Page Views

Monday, March 8, 2010

D & D's Love Story: The first "hang out" alone

Recap: D & I were friends before we were dating. Drunken flirtation and kissing ensued...

It was a few days (I think) before I talked to D again after the drunken night of flirting and kissing. I can't remember who called who first but I think there were voicemails and returned calls involved. When we finally chatted it was kind of weird and shy and awkward but not too bad. I recall a lot of school girl giggling. D had (still has) a family tradition every year on the August civic long weekend (it's a Canadian holiday), his entire family gets together at their family cottage and they play in a baseball tournament. His mom has 13 brothers and sisters and they have kids and they have kids so it is like a family reunion once a year. He was heading for that weekend so we made plans to hang out when he got back.

Sadly it was a time when cell reception was not great in most places and since their cottage is in a very tiny town out in the middle of nowhere I knew there was no chance of getting a phone call while he was away. I spent the weekend partying with my friends and fighting the butterflies in my stomach from the new love feeling.

D got back from his weekend and we made plans to watch a movie. Since we were both fresh out of college and just starting out with our jobs we both still lived with our parents (boooo). It happened that my parents would be out for the evening so I said we could watch the movie at my place. D came to pick me up in his Jeep (which I thought was so cool-haha) and we went to the movie store to pick something out.

Now this is where it gets funny. Walking through the store I was about 3-5 feet ahead of D. All of sudden I heard a crash-like noise and heard a bunch of movies falling to the floor. When I turned around there was D standing in the middle of this pile with a beet red face. "Did you do that??" I said while laughing. What had happened was that a small kid ran in front of him and he had to move to get out of the way and it was either step on the child or hit the movie shelf. I still tease him to this day.

We rented National Security with Martin Lawrence and spent the entire movie sitting awkwardly on the couch like a bunch of teenagers while D attempted for about 60 minutes to put his arm around me. He is a naturally very shy guy and never really had a serious girlfriend so it was awkward. We only kissed once at the end of the night.

A few nights later we went out for a "real date." We had dinner at a restaurant. I always hate the awkward eating in front of someone for the first time.

It's fun strolling down memory lane. What shall I write about next week???

No comments:

Post a Comment