Page Views

Saturday, March 27, 2010

My niece is growing up

All 6 of my nieces and nephews are growing up way too quickly. They are 17, 10, 9, 7, 5, 1 years old. It is a scary thought.

This week my 17 year old niece got her acceptance letter from her #1 choice University. I am so extremely proud of her and find myself wondering where the years have gone.

This blog is dedicated to her.

I was 11 (almost 12) when C was born. I remember the day like it was just yesterday. I woke up very very early on a weekend morning to find a note on the counter from my dad. "Girls, I am gone to work. Your mom and sister are at the hospital making you guys aunties. Love Dad"

C was born around 8:30 that morning.

My sister was very young when she had Caitlin and so they lived at home for the first 2 years of her life. It was more like having another sister than a niece. I had a hand in helping to raise C. When my sister moved away and took C with her it was very hard. I remember crying on C's first day of school even though I was 2 and a half hours away. I could just picture her stepping on that bus.

C always looked up to me and loved me so much. She called me her best friend and even had my sister buy those best friend necklaces and gave me the other half of it. We both wore them proudly. Whenever my sister would buy anything for C she would ask "Would Dee think this is cool?"

Eventually I became less and less cool as C grew up, my sister and brother in law have done an excellent job raising such an bright, focused, hard working kid. As she grows into a young adult I can't help but feel proud that she is my niece!

How did this sweet baby grow up so quickly???

No comments:

Post a Comment