Page Views

Monday, May 9, 2011

The Hysterosonogram

Today I had my hysterosnonogram. 

Yesterday I woke up at 5:30 am. I went to work until 11 and then I drove 6.5-7 hours to get to the city where the fertility clinic is. I got up this morning, went to the clinic, had my invasive procedure and then drove the 6.5-7 hour drive back home. I did this all by myself and I am fucking exhausted. 


Back to the test itself. 


I got into the ultrasound room and the procedure was explained to me (I already knew what to look forward to) and the technologist went to get Dr. L so they could proceed with the fun. 


The plan was to check my uterus and make sure there were no abnormalities that caused my miscarriages. But Dr. L asked me if he could also check my tubes today. I said sure, why not. He's going to be in there anyway. 


So away we went. The speculum went in, my cervix was wiped, the catheter was inserted through my cervix into my uterus. The speculum was removed, and my boyfriend, the TransVag ultrasound wand (aka Dildo Cam) was inserted to take some Glamor shots of the procedure. 

There was very minimal cramping and discomfort. Compared to the HSG  (Hydrosalpingogram) it was a walk in the park. Everything was looked at and saline was pushed through and I watched and listened as they explained what was going on. It was a good news - bad news situation.


Good: My uterus is fine and there are no abnormalities.


Bad: There was no flow coming out of the left tube (the one that is was open) so it is now also blocked. Dr. L said it could be from more scar tissue or it could have been because I had already ovulated so maybe the uterine lining was blocking it, but he said it wasn't that thick so he dismissed that as a possibility.


Good: We have the go ahead for the FET. 


Bad: If the FET doesn't work, we no longer have that 7% chance of conceiving on our own


Good: Ontario health care will pay for 3 IVF cycles is both tubes are blocked


Bad: I decided after the last IVF cycle that I never wanted to go through that again. 




So, for now we will proceed with the FET. I hope so badly that it works and I don't even need to think about or consider the possibility of another IVF cycle. But if it doesn't, we have some serious thinking to do and some really tough choices to make. 



2 comments: