Page Views

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Pictures from Mexico

Just got back from an amazing trip to Mexico. Of course, AF showed up the day before we left. It wasn't too bad though and the trip was amazing!

We went to the Riviera Maya and stayed at the Catalonia Yucatan. We met some great people and had a wonderful time!




 


We did an excursion one day that included walks and bike rides through the jungle, visits to some Mayan Ruins (the history and stories are amazing and wild), we got to climb a big pyramid called Coba. D made it all the way up but I got too chicken at about 3/4 of the way and slowly made my way down on my butt. Then we went to a different area, walked through the jungle, went ziplining over some water that was the home to 2 alligators, walked some more until we made it to a Cenote: a sinkhole with exposed rocky edges containing groundwater. It is typically found in the Yucatán Peninsula and some nearby Caribbean islands. The term derives from a word used by the low-land Yucatec Maya to mean any location with accessible groundwater. We got blessed by a Mayan Medicine Man because we were going swimming in the Cenote and they believe that is their Underworld (which is a good thing), then we rappelled down into the Cenote, went for a swim in there, swam through a pitch black cave and I mean PITCH BLACK. Then we walked back through the jungle, went for a canoe ride, had a delicious Mexican lunch and it was back to the resort. An amazing and exhausting day!








VIVA MEXICO!
Now it's back to the real world though, Yuck!

1 comment:

  1. When I went to Mexico my sister and I went to Coba too. I only made it half way up and I also had to slide down on my butt. I don't deal with heights very well.

    ReplyDelete