Page Views

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

D & D Love story: our first vacation

Living together was going well, we were in love with our tiny little house and often had friends over for drinks and partying. We enjoyed being hosts (even though a lot of the time there was not a whole lot of room for more than 10 people).

We decided that we would like to take a "hot trip" together to the Caribbean. Neither D or I had ever been to a nice vacation like that and sadly, neither of us had ever been on a plane. D had been in little bush planes but nothing major. After doing some research we decided to go to Cuba. We put the invitation out to all of our friends, told them when we would be traveling and where we were going, if they wanted to come they were more than welcome to join us.



My days became occupied with checking out resorts and prices online. We decided since it was our first vacation and we wanted to be sure we were doing everything right that we would book with  a travel agent. So we decided on a resort and booked the trip. One of D's friends from college accepted our invite and he and his girlfriend would join us. They lived out of town and she was a relatively new girlfriend so I had never met her. The guy is a great guy and a ton of fun though so I had no worries. (that was a mistake)

Finally the day came for the holiday. We drove to Toronto and boarded our plane and we were off to Holguin, Cuba. We arrived at night and were exhausted from the trip so after a couple of drinks at one of the bars we decided to go to sleep. The following day we explored the massive resort. It was beautiful and unlike anything I had ever seen. I loved it instantly.




We spent our mornings on the beach and when it got too windy we would hit the swim up bar for the rest of the afternoon. Since the guys loved the water and I was more interested in taking the occasional dip btu mostly lounging on my beach chair with a drink and a book, I was stuck with D's friend's stick in the mud girlfriend who thought she was so much better than everyone else. We got along fine but she was just not "my type."



She clearly had him whipped beyond belief because if she needed to go to the washroom he had to walk her there, wait outside the door and then bring her back. If she forgot something in the room he had to go back with her. And if they were within reaching distance of each other they were holding hands which I found extremely annoying. I started to worry that maybe D and I weren't as in love as they were. They held hands for the entire plane ride, they held hands on the bus to the resort, if they were laying on beach chairs, they were holding hands, anywhere they walked they held hands (you get the point). D and I would just laugh because we are not really the constant hand holding type.

While we were there we decided to do a Catamaran/snorkelling trip that was super fun. We got picked up bright and early in the morning by a big coach bus. It was about 7:30 am and then the bus door swung open all we could hear was extremely loud music and this guy jumped out of the bus and was dancing like he was in a club and high on E. I knew then it would be a fun day and I ran to him and danced with him. D was embarrassed but I could care less... I was on vacation!


Snorkeling was amazing, we saw a baracuda and tons and tons of fish, I got to hold a starfish, we had a delicious lobster lunch at an ocean side restaurant and the catamaran was a party boat. It was an amazing day.


After that vacation we were hooked! And now we try to go as much as we can. I was glad that D and I were able to experience our first hot trip together.

This picture cracks me up at how young we look.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete