Page Views

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A new blog segment

 Funny shit happens to me at work every day. Funny, frustrating, and down right strange things happen all the time at a hospital. When you sit at a registration desk, a lot of that stuff happens to you.

So I introduce to you: Today at the desk

Today (actually it was yesterday but I just came up with the idea today so we will pretend) at the desk, a mom and her 16 year old daughter came to register. We will call the daughter B.

B (to mother): I wish I could get a job here.

Mother: You need an education to get a job

B (now to me): Do you need an education to work here (all condescending like)?

Me: Yes. And you need to be able to speak french, do you speak french?

B: No.

Me: Have you had a cough or shortness of breath in the past 7 days?

B: Well like I think I am getting sick

Me: Are you coughing?

B: Yes

Me: If you are coughing in the hospital you need to be wearing a mask

B (to mother): Fuck, I should have lied. (back to me) It's a smoker's cough.

Me: ***eyeroll***

At this point another 16 year old walks by with her baby ( I had registered them earlier). We will call this other teen M.

B: Hey M! Is this your baby? It's cute!

M: She's a girl

B: Is it sleeping? Does it cry a lot?

M: She's pretty good

B (ripping soother out of baby's mouth): Will it cry if I do this?

M begins to walk away.

B: Aww, it was cute. I want one!


And cue the part of the day where I force myself to remain seated and not jump over the counter to slap a patient.

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment