Page Views

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

D & D Love Story: Wedding plans part 1

All of my posts here have been on the negative whiny side lately so I guess it's time for a somewhat happy post.

When D & I got engaged I was so very happy. I had been waiting for this day for a long time and was excited to start planning the wedding. At first I wanted a June wedding but for reasons I don't want to get into now we switched the date to November and planned for a year long engagement.

As we started the early planning I wanted to get as much done as possible so that I wasn't running around like made just before the wedding. One of the first things on my list was to get a guest list from our parents. This included addresses and names of immediate family members to be invited and also a short list of friends they would like to have invited as well. I told them that if I had to make cuts that their friends would most likely be the first to go but I wanted to give them the option of having their own guests at our wedding.

I knew that D's mom would have a big mouth about all of my choices and I could foresee a few arguments and fights in the upcoming months but I thought I would start by giving her the benefit of the doubt and not making it an issue before it actually was one.

So one night we were over at his parents' house for dinner and I asked his mom for her guest list. SHe had already started voicing a few of her own opinions about who we should invite and what we should do, nothing overly major but just making herself heard.  I had an appointment that evening to donate blood so I left to go do that. When I returned she was as sweet as pie and kept saying "whatever you 2 want to do" and "if you need anything at all from me just let me know" and "it is YOUR day"

Wow, I thought, let's hope she stays this way.

Then on our way home D informs me that he had a little chat with her while I was gone. She was going on about something that we should be doing and D said "Mom! This is mine and Dee's wedding. We are going to do things that are best for us! You already had your wedding and got to make your plans, now it is our turn. We only plan on doing this once so we plan to do it our way. You are already being pushy with your advice and we've only been engaged for a week. If we want your advice or your help, we will ask you."

And that's when I fell in love with him a little more. He anticipated her pushiness and stepped in and stopped it before it started in order to make the process a lot smoother for me!

But he's a sneaky one too. He got me right where he wanted me, all mushy and in love and then he asked me to have his sister as a bridesmaid (which I had not planned on doing).

This picture doesn't really go with the story but I think it was the same fall that he proposed. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete