Page Views

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Vacation: Day 1

Of course I will not be updating daily vacation updates but I wanted to post this.

So, as mentioned before I said that AF would be arriving on day 1 of the vacation (which she did) and I would be spending the evening with 2 pregnant ladies, one of which would be just about as far along as I should be.

I felt prepared, I felt ok and I felt meltdown free. I even bought little gifts for each of the mommies. So there was an abundance of baby and pregnancy talk but if I felt uncomfortable or sad I just stepped away for a minute and when I returned the conversation had moved on. Great. I decided not to drink too much since that would probably cause a meltdown so I had 2 drinks and then left it at that.

We had a nice dinner with some old friends, we enjoyed good conversation and a fire outside. It was nice. One of the guests was a friend's new girlfriend. This was my first time meeting her.

After 2 of the couples had left I decided that I was tired and excused myself to go to bed. There was only D, his best friend and his wife (15 weeks pregnant) and the friend and the new girlfriend left. D's best friend and his wife know all about our issues. The other guy does not, I am very private about that aspect of my life.

So when I am done washing my face and brushing my teeth and all of that bedtime stuff I step outside the bathroom and I can hear the conversation going on outside "You know," says the friend "My sister had a miscarriage...."
My heart sank. I had left the group for 5 minutes and already they were talking about me?!?! I wanted to run outside and scream at D for allowing that to happen but instead I decided to not come off as a crazy person so I sent him a text from inside the house asking why the fuck were they talking about miscarriages?!?!?

Turns out that D and his best friend were having a private (how private can you get around a table with 3 other people?) and best friend asked how we were doing and how I was. Well instead of staying in her own conversation the friend's new girlfriend was listening in and started asking very personal and inappropriate questions. (including: 'which one of you has the problem? you or her?' to which D replied 'It is both of our problem')

The pregnant wife was very upset at the line of questioning and knew that I would not be happy with the conversation so she put it to a halt as soon as she could. But from what she told me this morning the girl kept pressing on with questions about exactly what our problem was and what not. D said he was trying to stop the conversation and be as vague as possible but it just wasn't happening.

So that is great. Now this complete stranger who I really do not see our friend being with for the long term knows all about our fertility problems and my miscarriage.

I wish I would have gone upstairs and yelled at her, problem is that it would have been really dramatic and horrible and certainly not how I wanted to start my holidays. Plus they were drunk so how productive is a conversation with a girl who weighs 100 pounds who has had 12 beer?? Probably not a lot.

I am remaining excited about this vacation though and putting that whole scenario behind me as best as I can.

Niagara Falls tomorrow......

2 comments:

  1. Just point me in the right direction. I will slap a biznatch. That was rude and immature. There are certain topics that no matter how curious you are, should tactfully be avoided even if you hear them. If you do get involved, at least have some class about it.
    Good girl for not letting any of this get you down. Enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry honey. :( I don't know what else to say. Some people really need to just keep their noses out of other peoples business. ((hugs)) I hope the rest of your vacation is much better!!!

    ReplyDelete