Page Views

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

D & D Love Story: Adopting Roxy

I skipped a very very very important part in the story of us. This is how Roxy came into our lives.

We have to back it up a little bit for this one.

We were both still living at home with our parents. I was working at the radio station full time and there is this segment that we do called "Swap Shop" where people can have their items to buy or sell on the radio for a day.

One day I got a phone call in the studio from someone who wanted to list something so I took down all of the information about this 4 month old dog who needed a good home. I knew that I would be moving out of my parents house within a few months so I told the person that I was interested in the dog and made arrangements to come and see her and I never read the information on the air.

That evening I spent a long while convincing my dad to let me get a dog. Since I was still living under their roof I had to clear it with him first. I made up a lie that the people would be putting her down if she wasn't adopted and I just couldn't let that happen. Finally, he gave in!

So the following day I went to meet this dog. I arrived at the very shady house and the woman came out and spoke with me for a while and then called out "Melissa.......Roxanne....come here!" I was assuming that she was calling her daughter and the dog (I knew that the dog was Roxanne) First dog to come running around the corner was not how I pictured her at all and my initial reaction was I don't want that dog. Then the woman informed me that that was Melissa....phew.

Suddenly the sweetest little dog I have ever laid eyes on came tearing around the corner. 'There's Roxanne' she said. I crouched down to the ground and put my arms out and she ran right for me and jumped in my arms! It was love at first sight. "Wow!!" said the woman "4 other people have come to look at her and she wouldn't go near any of them"

As I sat there and pet her and held her, the woman's significant other came out, he was a mean looking, hard-ass type of guy who told his kid to shut up because she was crying about having to give Roxanne away.

Later that evening, after work I returned to Shady Acres to take Roxanne away. It was pouring rain and even though every light was on in the house and the door was open, nobody was home. Roxanne was laying in the porch with Melissa so I scooped her up in my arms and got the hell out of there.

I shortened her name to Roxy and we have been together ever since. Her behavior for the first little while suggested to me that she was abused before I got her. She was very timid and afraid of men for a long time. Her coat was kind of coarse and greasy but after about a week with me she became a lot happier and her coat is still shiny and soft.

I know that Roxy & I were meant to be from the moment that she jumped into my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment