Page Views

Sunday, January 9, 2011

I gave it back

Before leaving for my long stay in the city where the Fertility clinic is, my mom stopped by with something that she and my dad wanted to give us to help out with our IVF. Money.

She handed me an envelope with $500 in it. She said it was what they could do and they wanted to help us with our expenses and since there was nothing more they could do, that's what they wanted to contribute. I didn't want to accept it but she cried. So I took it, all the while thinking that I would pay them back one day.

When I returned from the city, I hadn't even so much as opened the envelope. The entire 500 was still in it and I contemplated what to do with the money. Should we put it on the credit card to help with some of the charges we made while we were there? (meds, the apartment etc) or should I start a bank account for the future baby if IVF proved to be successful? I decided to sit on it for a while and make a decision when the answer was more clear.

Well we know where I am at now. And the money? Well I wanted nothing to do with it. So today I put it in a bigger envelope with a letter to my parents explaining that I couldn't take the money and have nothing to show for it and how it is bad enough that we wasted a large sum of our own money, I didn't want them to have to waste one red cent of theirs. We went to their house and I discreetly left it on their kitchen table. I don't know if they found it yet but I hope we never bring it up again.

2 comments: