Page Views

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

D & D Love Story: Getting engaged

No major milestones happened for a while after D and I bought our house. We did some renovations, we talked about marriage, we talked about kids, we had arguments and fights...just life.

D's new contract at work had been at the negotiating table for months and months. Finally it went to arbitration and that process was also taking a very very long time. We knew that when the new contract was settled that D would be getting a raise and a big retro check. D was planning to use that money to buy my engagement ring. He hinted at this in many not so subtle ways so of course I was very anxious for his contract to be settled, months went by and still nothing.

One day we were talking about marriage and engagements and D told me that he was nervous about picking a ring for me. So, on a whim we visited the jewelry store so he could get an idea of what I liked. The girl there told us that I can create a "wish list" there so that when D was ready he would know the rings that I picked and what order I like them. So about a week or 2 later I went in and made my wish list.

As a child, we never carved pumpkins but D always did. So when him and I started dating we always carved pumpkins together. We always made it some kind of contest. So D said to me one day about a week before Halloween that we should have the contest on Friday the 27th since we were both off that day (this was also the day before my 25th birthday). So we went and picked out our pumpkins and prepared for the contest. I went online and printed some pretty cool patterns, I really felt confident enough in my pumpkin carving skills to beat him that year.

So the 27th finally came and D and I began carving our pumpkins around 9:30 or 10am. D was making a really big deal about not looking at each others pumpkins. As I was pinning the pattern on my pumpkin he was viciously carving away. Before I was even able to stick the knife in the pumpkin he said "OK! I am done!" and he went downstairs with his pumpkin to set it up on the bar to see how it looked. (our rec room is very dark because there are no windows). After a few minutes he yells upstairs:

OK, Come and look at my pumpkin!

No, I am not finished yet! That's not fair, I haven't even started. We have to look at them together to be able to judge.

Just come down and see it!!

No! I am not done

Please just come down here

No!

Come on Dee.

Geez! Fine!! But I am not even close to done yet.

Close your eyes!


So down the stairs I go into the dark with my eyes closed, this was quite dangerous-LOL. And when I reach the bottom of the stairs and face the bar he tells me to open my eyes and there it is. The only thing lighting up the room is the glow of his pumpkin carved with the words "Will U Marry Me" (he says there wasn't enough room to write 'you')

I am shocked and surprised and I say 'If this is a joke, I don't think it is very funny!' and then I notice him standing beside the pumpkin with the ring box in his hand. Tears, hugs, kisses, me saying yes, getting the ring, excitement. You know....the usual.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, this is such a sweet story! I am crying!
    ~nikisnow

    ReplyDelete