Page Views

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Report from the RE

Well the appointment has come and gone.

It isn't even noon yet and I have had an hour long appointment with Dr.L, had blood drawn, and have discussed our options at length with D. And I barely slept last night.

Here is a summary of the appointment.

I love Dr. L. He was compassionate and said "sorry" more than once about our difficulties and about our miscarriage. He is a very smart man, very personable and he was great to answer all of our questions at length.

He, of course went over our history and all of that fun information. Then he started talking about our options. The first one he suggested was another Laparoscopy to see if my right tube could be unblocked and if not then possible remove it. I was not happy about this option but I decided to just keep listening.

The next option was to just keep trying on our own.

Then there is IUI. He didn't seem too enthusiastic about IUI and said that it would give us the same chance as if we just kept trying naturally. He said that he has many patient with 1 tube who have done IUI and it is rare that they get pregnant.

Then the final option was IVF. I was not expecting this. I really thought that IUI would be our best option but I guess I was wrong. He gave us a price for IVF, outlined it a bit (even though I have heard all about IVF from some amazing women who have been through it) and said this would be our best option and give us a 60-70% chance of conceiving.

He said that the choice is up to us and what we are prepared to do emotionally, financially and physically. He said he will understand and support whatever route we choose. He explained that some women like to try IUI first to see if that will work. I am not one of those women. If he is giving us the same chance as if we just kept trying naturally then I am not really interested in wasting all of that extra money that could go to IVF.

So now D and I are going to look at our finances and see where the money will come from. In the meantime I have ultrasounds and bloodwork to have done.


I asked him if it would be worth it to just remove my tube. He said the risk of surgery is not worth it.

I also learned something very very very interesting. He said that women in general ovulate mainly from their right tube and occasionally from the left. THAT EXPLAINS A LOT!!!!

At the end of the appointment he outlined the testing I needed done (including the baseline u/s to be done on CD 3-5 and I said, I will book that any day now when my period comes. He said "I hope that it doesn't come" Yep, it's official, I LOVE HIM!!!)



So, blog readers, it looks like I am moving on to IVF.  Anyone have a rich uncle they want to lend me for a bit??

5 comments:

  1. I have never heard that women ovulate mainly from their right tube...ever. I thought they alternate? hmmm

    I'm so glad you have a better outlook and a plan. GOOD LUCK sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Dee! I'm so happy your appointment went well! If I had a rich uncle, I would totally hook you up. I'll just be praying you guys can find a way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that your appointment went well and I'm glad you have a plan. If I had some extra cash laying around I would send you some! I promise. I don't, but I do have extra M&Ms when/if you need them. I'm anxious to see how things progress over the next few months!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, this is exciting! :) Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete